April 23, 2020 hephzibahgarden
Abigail was Nabal’s wife.
They lived during the time of King David, in a town called Maon. This man Nabal, was a very rich person. He owned a large number of sheep and goats (in 1000s) 😄 [1 Samuel 25:2] Those were the days wherein — the more a person owned sheep, goat, camel, asses; basically farm animals, the more wealthy and famous he was. Abraham and Job were also of the same kind!!!
Alright….!! Now, Nabal’s wife Abigail was a very beautiful lady. She was INTELLIGENT as well!!😇 A deadly combination indeed! 1 Samuel 25:3. But, her husband Nabal did not have a good name among the people – he was mean and bad tempered.
7 Good Qualities in Abigail:
- She was a woman of good understanding, basically, she was a wise woman. 1 Samuel 25:1. The heart of her husband trusts in her, And he will have no lack of gain. She does him good and not evil All the days of her life. Proverbs 31:11-12 NASB
- She was beautiful to look upon – had a lovely countenance. 1 Samuel 25:3. I believe she was more beautiful inwardly; that’s why she was beautiful outwardly as well! Whose adorning let it not be that outward adorning of plaiting the hair, and of wearing of gold, or of putting on of apparel; But let it be the hidden man of the heart, in that which is not corruptible, even the ornament of a meek and quiet spirit, which is in the sight of God of great price. 1 Peter 3:3-4.
- She pacified the King’s heart of wrath because of her good character. 1 Samuel 25:25-27. She openeth her mouth with wisdom; and in her tongue is the law of kindness. Proverbs 31:26
- She had a humble heart — readily bowed down and worshipped the king! She was a God-fearing woman. 1 Samuel 25:23,24. She tastes and sees that her gain from work [with and for God] is good; her lamp goes not out, but it burns on continually through the night [of trouble, privation, or sorrow, warning away fear, doubt, and distrust]. Proverbs 31:18 AMPC.
- She readily took others blame upon herself. 1 Samuel 25:24 — And fell at his feet, and said, Upon me, my lord, upon me let this iniquity be: and let thine handmaid, I pray thee, speak in thine audience, and hear the words of thine handmaid.
- She was quick to reconcile and make peace with those who went against her. 1 Samuel 25:28-31. I pray thee, forgive the trespass of thine handmaid: for the Lord will certainly make my lord a sure house; because my lord fighteth the battles of the Lord, and evil hath not been found in thee all thy days. 1 Samuel 25:28
- She had a meek spirit within her. 1 Samuel 25:33-35. So David received of her hand that which she had brought him, and said unto her, Go up in peace to thine house; see, I have hearkened to thy voice, and have accepted thy person. 1 Samuel 25:35
Tried drawing a comparison between Abigail and the Virtuous Woman mentioned in Proverbs 31; and we can safely say that, indeed Abigail was a Virtuous Woman, who had many beautiful characters in her 🙌. After all, we are called to become the Bride of Christ and it is imperative for us to have such amazing qualities in us too! May the Lord help us! ❤️