By Rev Bill Woods
Judges covers Israel’s history for 305 years after Joshua died…
– Israel declined, backslid, and walked away from God.
– It’s frightening to see the parallels between Israel then and America today.
God established Israel, and gave Himself to them.
– He gave them the Law — the 10 commandments and the covenant.
– He gave them Canaan — the best land on earth. .
All God asked for was their love and obedience.
– What’d Israel do?
– They denied God, defied His law, and defiled the land. God had to judge them.
The parallel with America is alarming.
– No nation’s had a Christian beginning like the USA.
– We’re also given the Lord, the law, and a land — we’ve denied Him, defied Him, and defiled our land.
1. America’s Denied God!
God’s been expelled from nearly every public venue.
– It started back in the ‘60’s in public schools, when Madelyn Murray O’Hair filed a suit because she didn’t want her son, William, to be exposed to prayers of religious people praying to a God she didn’t believe in.
Since then it’s gone to public places — Assemblies, stadiums, court houses, coins, our Pledge of Allegiance — today we’re even fighting battles about what can be preached in church!
- This pandemic has locked our nation down and people have lost their motivation.
- Churches have been denied the privilege of worship which has caused further deterioration.
It’s not separation of church and state — it’s separation of America from God Who’s blessed us!
- Currently there is a battle raging in America over who will be President of the United States. Donald Trump has tried to lead this Nation back to a conservative base which recognizes God’s Standards.
- Joe Biden and Kamala Harris are Liberals wanting to defy God’s Standards and put in place abortion, gay marriages, drugs, and Marxism.
How will it end? We will get what we need or what we deserve?
What’s happened that our “Christian” Nation has come to this? Why have we deteriorated so quickly?
2. America’s Defied God’s Law!
The Supreme Court ruled the 10 Commandments can’t be displayed in public places.
– People might ponder them, maybe obey them — that’d violate separation of Church and State!
America’s trailing the same path that Israel did.
– The official position of our government — the 10 commandments are dangerous!
– Kids shouldn’t see ‘thou shalt not kill’ because what if they obeyed it!
Ladies, if you broke down in the roughest part of town, and had to walk for help.
– Four men come out of a house and walk just behind you………..you’d be terrified!
Then you hear them talking about God, they’ve just left a Bible study.
– They’re carrying Bibles. How do you feel now? (PHEW!)
The direction our Nation’s going is foolish, and defies common sense.
– God’s promised to Bless and prosper us doesn’t it seem dumb to “bite the hand that’s feeding us?”
– We’re so afraid we’ll force our beliefs on other people and violate their beliefs that we’ve let the world destroy our core of morality.
– Islam and other pagan, God denying cults aren’t afraid to force their beliefs.
– The Communists weren’t afraid to force their beliefs.
– Just Christians are holding the Truth, but so anemic they’ve no backbone to share it!
Like Israel, we’ve denied God, we’ve defied His Law and
3. America’s Defiled the Land
We’ve done this in many ways — one primary way is the spilled blood of aborted babies.
– There have been over 57 million abortions since the Supreme Court handed
down its Roe vs. Wade decision in 1973, allowing virtually unlimited abortions.
If you listened to the Democratic Convention you heard one of their planks is “Women’s Rights.”
– Giving women a right to control their own body (mostly meaning abortion on demand).
You might not realize it, but the Democratic Party’s never recognized the sanctity of life.
The burning issue that led to the Civil War was the debate over the future of slavery.
The Democrats wanted to keep slaves for economic reasons and even made speeches proclaiming that to rid the country of slavery would destroy the wealth and happiness. – To them, slaves were property like cattle or sheep, not human beings!
The large plantations in the South utilized slaves to tend their agriculture and perform other menial duties.
The Republicans, under Abraham Lincoln, wanted to free the slaves because they recognized Blacks as human beings.
On the eve of the Civil War, some four million Africans and their descendants toiled as slave laborers in the South.
Slavery was interwoven into the Southern economy even though only a relatively small portion of the population actually owned slaves. – Slaves could be rented or traded or sold to pay debts, or even killed with no consequence, because they were only property to be owned.
Ownership of more than a handful of slaves demanded respect and contributed to social position slaves were just property of individuals and businesses, represented the largest portion of the region’s personal and corporate wealth, as cotton and land prices declined and the price of slaves soared.
The Northern states, one by one gradually abolished slavery.
When Congress established a law against slavery, Southern Democrats rebelled and that dispute led to secession, and secession brought about war in which the Northern and Western states and territories fought to preserve the Union, and the South fought to establish Southern independence as a new confederation of states under its own constitution.
The US Civil War lasted from 1861 to 1865 and led to over 618,000 casualties.
Again, life was and still is cheap to the Democratic Party.
God removed His glory from Israel for sacrificing their children to Molech.
– Today He’s removing Himself from the USA.
– We need a national revival, a moral and spiritual awakening.
– What’ll it take? If 9/11 and all the recent terrorist attacks isn’t enough, what will be enough?
- All these natural disasters are God’s efforts to wake us up. Soon He’ll send Judgment!
God raised 13 Judges to deliver Israel from backsliding and bring national revival.
To understand imagine ‘the family fortune.’
– When a family becomes rich there are 3 stages which usually occur:
– 1st generation generates the fortune.
· – 2nd generation speculates their fortune, through compromises and foolish decisions.
– 3rd generation dissipates the fortune and it’s gone.
That’s how it works with nations. (And churches)
– 1st generation generates freedom, 2nd generation speculates it away, 3rd generation dissipates it until its gone..
– Look at those nations that have forgotten God in history.
What do we know about the Israelites who entered the Promised Land?
– Under Joshua God gave Israel one victory after another.
– Walls tumbled down — kings were subdued.
– They’d never have won such victories without the Power of God.
That’s a picture of America!
– The Revolutionary War — Britain had more men, money, better machinery….it was David and
Goliath but God was on our side — we won!
Patrick Henry’s speech sparked the revolution in 1775:
– “Is life so dear, or peace so sweet, as to be purchased at the price of chains or slavery?
Forbid it, Almighty God! I know not what course others may take but as for me; give me
Liberty or give me death!”
George Washington — 1st President.
– He took office putting his hand on the Bible. He finished the oath and kissed the Bible.
– His 1st official act was to lead Congress in 2 hours of worship.
– What would’ve the ACLU said about that.
In his inaugural address he said, “No people can be bound to acknowledge and adore the invisible hand which conducts the affairs of men more than the people of the United States. Every step by which they have advanced to the character of an independent nation seems to have been distinguished by some token of providential agency.”
– In plain English — God got us here, and we’d better not forget it!
Our founding fathers were clear this land was founded on God and the Bible. (Today, liberals are trying to discredit them)
– The Bible was the 1st book used in public schools — until the 1940’s.
– Succeeding generations in Israel began to squander it all away.
Judges 2:1-2 — God said, “Look at all I’ve done for you.”
– I delivered you from slavery, fed you manna, guided and guarded you into the Promised Land
– Now look at you…why have you done this?!
Judges 2:7 — Joshua’s generation saw 1st hand the great works of God.
Judges 2:10: And also all that generation were gathered unto their fathers: and there arose another generation after them, which knew not the LORD, nor yet the works which he had done for Israel. — How sad! Joshua’s generation failed to pass their values on to their children.
– America in the 1960’s — look where we are today.
Americans are brainwashed by humanism, situational ethics, and relativism.
– We don’t understand the moral foundations and spiritual principles of our heritage.
– We’re trying to rewrite history and remove God. (Losing Nation for Political Correctness)
– One publisher said he wouldn’t publish any history before 1840.
Judges 21:25 is saddest verse: Judges 21:25: In those days there was no king in Israel: every man did that which was right in his own eyes.
– They became people with no absolutes…no standard to live by.
– That’s our Nation! How frightening!
Barna Research found 67% of Americans say there’s no such thing as absolute truth. That right and wrong aren’t clear…what’s wrong for you isn’t necessarily wrong for me.
– Even more frightening — they did the same survey in evangelical churches — 52% said the same thing!
– Imagine, Christians saying there’s no right or wrong!
How’d Israel get to this point? Through compromises.
Judges 2:1-2 — God said drive the enemy out — have nothing to do with them.
– They were to separate themselves from sin, as we’re supposed to do.
They Feared the Canaanites — Judges 1:19
– If they had trusted God they would’ve won — they were afraid to try.
– They said, we can’t conquer these people. We’d better accommodate them, surrender to them — compromise with them.
Are there Canaanites we fear today?
– Many of our leaders want to surrender in the war on terror.
– They say we’re losing — we should quit trying to win.
– We should negotiate with the terrorists — stop trying to police the world.
– By doing that we’re just inviting them to come to us.
Many politicians are calling for an end to the war on drugs saying we’ve lost — we should surrender and legalize it — if we legalize it we can control it — marijuana
– Just like we’ve controlled alcohol!
– Trying to control drugs by legalizing them is like trying to control a fire with gasoline.
Parents are surrendering to sexual promiscuity.
– “You’re not going to be good, so be careful. — Wear protection.”
– What message does that give kids?
We’re putting ambulances at the bottom of the cliff when we’re supposed to put fences at the edge of the cliff!
It’s time to speak up! — God’s Word.
– People, God wants you pure and chaste.
– He wants you to be a virgin when you marry, not be passed around like a bottle of Gatorade in a football huddle!
We’re afraid of confrontation — we might offend someone.
– Whom shall I offend? Man or God?
– Truth usually is offensive, but it’s our only hope — John 8:32: And ye shall know the truth, and the truth shall make you free.
We’re so politically correct about homosexuality that we’re afraid to say anything about it.
– Leave it as a personal decision in spite of what God says and in spite of what happens to a society when they go that route.
Now America’s turning to Socialism.
– Ignoring lessons from countries who’ve tried it, we’re speeding down a dead end street that
leads from Capitalism (which made us strong) to socialism, communism — we’ll soon be a nation with no wealth, no freedom, and no reason to work!
– We’re at the tail end of the speculation generation — it’s getting scary!
Israel didn’t get rid of The Canaanites
Judges 1:28 — When the Israelites grew stronger, they forced the Canaanites to work as slaves, but they never did drive them completely out of the land.
They said we can use these people.
– They used them — God said have nothing to do with them!
– Sure they’re wicked, but some good can come out of them.
See America today! Legalized gambling, the lottery, marijuana and such things.
– “Look at the good — we’ll build roads and schools, and generate tax dollars!
– Look at the revenue we can generate!”
It’s time to stop saying look at what we can gain and ask, what are we losing?
Now we’ve turned to borrowing, not just from banks, but from the world, especially China, who now owns us.
– We’re borrowing our children’s future — they’ll never pay it back…but hey, that’s their problem!
Just like Israel, we favor the world over God. We have a President who wants to “Make America Great Again,” and honor God’s Standards and the populace wants to get rid of him?
They Fellowshipped With The Canaanites — Judges 1:32 — Instead, the people of Asher moved in among the Canaanites, who controlled the land, for they failed to drive them out.
– Hey, they aren’t such bad people! — They worship different gods — they’re good neighbors!
Israel learned their wicked ways, indulged in their idolatry, sacrificed their children to Molech.
Today’s cry is, there’s nothing wrong with the Gay lifestyle. What they do is their business.
– They should have rights; after all, they’re good neighbors…why can’t we just get along?!
God says that lifestyle’s an abomination — it’ll be our downfall — breaks down the family, makes a mockery out of marriage……
– If we adopt it we’re begging for His judgment — God’s done it before — He’ll do it again!
Don’t misunderstand, God loves homosexuals and so should we.
– But we love them, not by accepting their sin, but by confronting it with God’s truth, offering the antidote which is their only hope and ours as well!
Israel ended where every man did what was right in his own eyes…and God had to judge.
– The parallels today are paralyzing.
Judges 2:3 — So now I declare that I will no longer drive out the people living in your land. They will be thorns in your sides, and their gods will be a constant temptation to you.”
– Thorns and snares…………..
Judges 2:4 —When the angel of the LORD finished speaking to all the Israelites, the people wept loudly.
They wept because God was lifting His hand of protection off of them.
On 9/11 terrorists turned planes into missiles.
– Jerry Falwell said, “We’d better realize God is removing His protective hand from this nation.”
He cited our national sins of abortion and homosexuality. The liberal press crucified him.
– He was right. God’s using our current administration to give us what we’ve asked for.
– It’s change, we’re finding out it isn’t change we can believe in.
Revelation describes the downfall of a world power. It’s an economic disaster. Is that us?
Some ask, “Would a loving God allow that?” — If we ask for it!
“Where was God at Sandy Hook Elementary School in Newtown, Connecticut, in December, 2012 when 28 people were killed including 20 children?”– We expelled Him in 1962! We threw out His Bible and prayer and told God, you’re not welcome!
Now we’re in a godless generation — Is this the final generation in America?
We’re facing a very critical election……..Will we get what we need or what we deserve?
Our forefathers generated so much, our parents speculated it away.
Will this generation dissipate it until it’s completely gone?
– We’re one generation away from losing our country.
Is there any hope? Where there’s God, there’s still hope!
Judges 2:16 — Then the LORD raised up judges to rescue the Israelites from their attackers.
God would always rather forgive than to judge…but if we insist, we should be afraid.
During the civil war a benevolent gentleman saw a young black lady being auctioned as a slave.
– He bid just above every bid he heard and finally won the auction, paying a very high price.
– After winning he started to walk away — she followed him.
– He said, “Young lady, I didn’t buy you to own you, but to set you free.”
– “Free?” she asked.
“Yes, free to do whatever you want.”
– She replied, “Then I choose to go with you.”
After all God’s done for America, how can we spit in His face?
– We need to pray for national revival!
If you’re not saved, consider all God’s done for you…the high price His Son Jesus paid for you.
– Will you choose to be His servant and serve Him?
Many soldiers died so you’d have freedom to make that choice.
Christ died so you could make it!
THERE ARE ONLY TWO DEFINING FORCES WHO HAVE EVER OFFERED TO DIE FOR YOU.
ONE IS JESUS CHRIST AND THE OTHER THE AMERICAN SOLDIER.
ONE DIED FOR YOUR SINS AND THE OTHER FOR YOUR FREEDOM!
PODCAST: BRINGING AMERICA BACK TO GOD