Mallory Quigley | Sep 9, 2021 | Oklahoma City, Oklahoma
Today SBA List President Marjorie Dannenfelser joined Governor Kevin Stitt (R) on the ground in Oklahoma for a ceremony to celebrate the signing of nine new pro-life laws this year to protect unborn children and their mothers in the Sooner State. The new laws will:
- Protect babies from abortion once the unborn child’s heartbeat is detected.
- Safeguard women and girls from dangerous chemical abortion drugs.
- Require regulations on chemical abortion drugs to be processed through the State Board of Pharmacy.
- Require abortionists to be board certified in obstetrics and gynecology.
- Label abortion under state statutes as a procedure of “unprofessional conduct.”
- Restore Oklahoma’s prohibition on abortion if Roe v. Wade is overturned.
- Protect relinquished children by extending the time frame they can be relinquished to rescuers and directs OSDH to award grants for the newborn to be placed into a “Baby Box.”
- Require birthing centers and other medical facilities to keep a written policy to better honor the remains of a child who was stillborn or miscarried.
- Prohibit fetal trafficking.
SBA List President Marjorie Dannenfelser remarked:
“Governor Stitt has kept his promise to sign every piece of pro-life legislation that reaches his desk. He is at the forefront of nationwide momentum to challenge the status quo and modernize our extreme abortion laws. Across the nation, pro-life governors are taking bold action to ensure that state laws reflect the will of their constituents and the clear science showing the humanity of unborn children. As radical Democrats in Washington push abortion on demand through birth, paid for by taxpayers, and seek to expand dangerous abortion drugs, strong pro-life leaders in statehouses are critically important – and they are stepping up like never before.
“Life is winning in Oklahoma and across America. I’m proud to stand with Governor Stitt at this historic moment and thank him for his leadership on behalf of pro-life Americans.”
Governor Stitt added:
“I promised Oklahomans I would sign every piece of pro-life legislation that came across my desk and I am proud to keep that promise. As a father of six, it’s an honor to be the most pro-life governor in the country and I will always step up to protect the lives of unborn children.”
Stitt recently joined 11 other pro-life governors in submitting an amicus brief supporting Mississippi in the Dobbs v. Jackson Women’s Health Organization late abortion case, calling on the Supreme Court to return the abortion issue to the states.