By Rev Bill Woods
2 Chronicles 7:14 (NKJV)
14 “if My people who are called by My name will humble themselves, and pray and seek My face, and turn from their wicked ways, then I will hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin and heal their land.”
“Nothing Happened Today” —
– Britain’s King George III wrote the day’s activities in his diary: “July 4, 1776–
Nothing happened today.” — Nothing happened?!!!!
America was born that day! King George.
– Her birth marked an epoch in history for the cause of human freedom.
For nearly 245 years (it will be on July 4), we’ve celebrated our independence — our right to do as we please in governing our own lives. What a wonderful country we live in — despite all its faults and failures.
– What wonderful freedoms the citizens of the USA have enjoyed and taken for granted!
One of these freedoms is FREEDOM OF RELIGION.
– We’ve been able to believe or worship anybody or anything we want — no one has told us differently until a year ago when the Government shut down the Churches because of Covid 19.
Thousands of people in our Armed Forces have paid the supreme sacrifice of dying to provide and maintain our Freedoms that we seem to take for granted!
- Originally Memorial Day was a day set aside to remember the heavy price that’s been paid in blood and sacrifice for our freedoms.
- What a shame that it’s been, for the most part, turned into a day of pic-nics, sports contests and frivolous activities.
Many thousands of Christians around the world have died for trying to worship God and we’ve just taken this right for granted each and every year.
– Yet in America — a country established for that very right — many won’t give God the time of day, much less their lives.
What happened that made millions now celebrate “Freedom from Religion” instead of the “Freedom of Religion?”
Many have tried and succeeded to get God kicked out of our schools, sporting events, public places and work places.
It’s not the Hindu gods or the Muslims’ Allah — it’s not the philosophy of reincarnation or the New Age, it’s not homosexuality or condom distribution they want out.
– It’s Jehovah God, it’s Jesus Christ.
– “Spiritualism” has taken the place of Christianity.
– Spiritualism puts self on the throne and religion in general.
– Christianity — the founding guide for America — is under attack.
Way back in April 1994, The Reader’s Digest carried an article by former Secretary of Education, William Bennett: “What Really Ails America”:
He said, “Today, much of society ridicules and mocks those who are serious about their faith.
– America’s only respectable form of bigotry is bigotry against religious people.
– And the only reason for hatred of religion is it forces us to confront matters many would prefer to ignore.
To a great extent our society has gotten what it wanted – A society without God.
– But what good has it done?”
Bennett continued, “Last year I compiled The Index of Leading Cultural Indicators, a statistical portrait of American behavioral trends of the past three decades. Among the findings: Since 1960, while the gross domestic product has nearly tripled, violent crime has increased at least 560 percent. Divorces have more than doubled. The percentage of children in single-parent homes has tripled. And by the end of the decade 40% of all American births and 80% of minority births will occur out of wedlock.”
– These are not good things to get used to!
The United States leads the world in murder, rape and violent crime.
– At the same time, our elementary-school students rank at or near the bottom in tests of math and science skills.
– Since 1960, average SAT scores in our high schools have dropped 75 points.
In 1940, teachers identified the top problems in America’s schools as: talking out of turn, chewing gum, making noise and running in the hall.
– In 1990, teachers listed drugs, alcohol, pregnancy, suicide, rape and assault.
– These aren’t good things to get used to, either.
– We’ve become desensitized to the cultural rot that is setting in.
– People have lost their capacity for shock, disgust and outrage.
During the 1992 Los Angeles riots, Damian Williams was filmed crushing an innocent man’s skull with a brick, while Henry Watson held the victim down.
– When Williams finished, he did a victory dance.
– Lawyers for Watson and William’s built a legal defense on the premise that people can’t be held accountable for getting caught up in mob violence.
– One juror told the New York Times, “I guess they were in the wrong place at the wrong time”
– When these men were acquitted on most counts, the cry wasn’t outrage, but relief.
– This isn’t a good thing to get used to. What’s the answer?
Today we’re in a struggle for the country we love.
– We must push hard against an age that’s pushing hard against us.
All those statistics I sighted were from 1994! 27 years ago!
Things haven’t improved, in fact they’re much worse now!
- Today we have riots in our major cities as “Black Lives Matter protest” take over cities and destroy lives and property. (Don’t misunderstand, know that black lives matter, but so do blue lives, brown lives, white lives–ALL LIVES MATTER AND ARE PRECIOUS TO JESUS AND ALL LIVES SHOULD BE TREATED WITH RESPECT!)
There’s a move on to defund the police and fire departments while crime and violence is running rampant. If that happens we “ain’t seen nothing yet!”
Our free elections have become a mockery!
Our money and economy are on the verge of collapse!
- Too many people are pushing for a Marxist style government because they don’t understand what will happen if they get their way!
Today, there is so much confusion over sexual orientation. Somehow we’ve identified 57 different genders!
- Someone wrote: “There are many different gender identities, including male, female, transgender, gender neutral, nonbinary, agender, pangender, genderqueer, two-spirit, third gender, and all, none or a combination of these.
- Isn’t that stupid! God made 2 genders–male and female!
- People need to stick with the gender they were born with and life will be better! If you don’t know your gender, your birth certificate can give you a hint.
You know, if America would finally have full employment and greater economic growth – if we have cities of gold and alabaster – but our children haven’t learned to walk in goodness, justice and mercy, then America, no matter how gilded, has failed.
– Don’t surrender. Get mad. Get in the fight. Do something! I don’t like the language, but that 1976 movie where the actor said, (“I want you to get up, go your window, open it and say, I’M AS MAD AS HELL AND I’M NOT GOING TO TAKE IT ANYMORE!)
I don’t suggest that, but he did have something in what he said, we need to get some righteous indignation and take a stand for Jesus Christ and Christians!
I can’t imagine how those who died on the battle field to insure our freedoms would feel if they could see our Nation today!
How can we turn our nation back to God? Can it even be done? Yes if we are willing to pay the price!
– We can make a difference! — 2 Chronicles 7:14—“if My people who are called by My name will humble themselves, and pray and seek My face, and turn from their wicked ways, then I will hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin and heal their land.”
Let’s look at this promise:1. IF MY PEOPLE WHICH ARE CALLED BY MY NAME… .
– There can’t be “finger-pointing” when returning to God. He’s talking to us, His Church. Judgment always begins at the House of God.
2. WILL HUMBLE THEMSELVES AND PRAY AND SEEK MY FACE…
– It’s good to be proud Americans as long as we still bow to God.
– Prayer is never obsolete, outdated or too late.
3. .AND TURN FROM THEIR WICKED WAYS…
– We’re notorious for repenting but not turning. Look what happened after 9 11!
Churches filled, but there was no repentance!
– Repentance means to turn from sin–180 degrees. — Be sorry for our sins, Confess, not just because we got caught, but have real remorse about how we’ve hurt God. And then, really confess them to God, and quit sinning.
- Do we love evil too much to turn from it?
4. THEN I (GOD) WILL HEAR FROM HEAVEN…
– God’s waiting to hear from us. — He’s longing for America to return to
5. AND WILL FORGIVE THEIR SIN AND HEAL THEIR LAND…
– God’s Forgiveness is available to all who will turn to God.
– Healing awaits all who turn.
Can America return to God?
If America wants to – YES! Do we want to?
God’s blessed our country.
It’s a blessing worth preserving through prayer and devotion to God inspite of those who want to tear our nation down.
– Unless we serve God we will live in bondage.
We have been so blessed to have the Freedom we enjoy, but it isn’t guaranteed to always be there! It takes commitment on our part to keep it. There’s a cycle we need to be aware of:
From Bondage to Spiritual Faith
From Spiritual Faith to Great Courage
From Great Courage to Liberty
From Liberty to Abundance
From Abundance to Complacency
From Complacency to Apathy
From Apathy to Governmental Dependence
From Governmental Dependency back to Bondage
WHERE ARE WE TODAY?
Christianity and patriotism have a lot in common. It’s significant that our patriotic hymn “My County, ’Tis of Thee”, was written by a Baptist preacher, Samuel Francis Smith.
The Pledge of Allegiance was written in 1892 by a Baptist minister, Francis Bellamy.
The words, “In God We Trust,” on our coins, are traced to Rev. W.R. Watkinson of Ridleyville, Pennsylvania.
– He wrote a letter of concern to the Honorable S.P. Chase, on November 13,1861.
Seven days later Mr. Chase wrote to James Pollock, Director of the U.S. Mint saying: “No nation can be strong except in the strength of God, or safe except in His defense. The trust of our people in God should be declared on our national coins. Will you cause a device to be prepared without delay with a motto expressing in the finest and tersest words possible, this national recognition.”
The “under God” added to pledge in 1954 while President Eisenhower was in Office.
The President of Princeton, Reverend John Witherspoon (Presbyterian) was the only clergyman to sign the Declaration of Independence.
– History books have nearly forgotten him and his far-reaching influence on democracy. FYI, We live in a Republic, not a Democracy like Nancy Palosi keeps saying.
– John Witherspoon personally taught several of the signers of the Declaration of Independence, nine of them were graduates of Princeton.
When he signed The Declaration of Independence, Witherspoon said: “There is a tide in the affairs of men, a spark. We perceive it now before us. To hesitate is to consent to our own slavery. That noble instrument upon the table, that insures immortality to its author, should be subscribed this very morning by every pen in this house. He that will not respond to its accents, and strain every nerve to carry into effect its provisions, is unworthy of the name of free man. For my own part, of property I have some; of reputation, more. That reputation is staked, that property is pledged on the issue of this contest; and although these gray hairs must soon descend into the sepulcher, I would infinitely rather they descend thither by the hand of the executioner than desert at this crisis the sacred cause of my country.”
There’s one other area we must look at if we want to save the USA.
– That’s how we’re treating Israel.
America is married to 2 ancient brothers. (Sons of Abraham: Ishmael and Isaac.)
– From Ishmael we want his oil.
– The 2nd one, Isaac, is because of guilt over how we turned away during the Holocaust while 6 million Jews were needlessly slaughtered.
God said in Genesis 12:3 —“I will bless those who bless you, And I will curse him who curses you; And in you all the families of the earth shall be blessed.”
– God’s has blessed the USA because we’ve stood with Israel since May 14, 1948.
Our Covenant with the Arabs won’t change because we want oil.
Our Covenant with Israel won’t change so we find ourselves caught in the eye of the prophetic storm.
In 1991, the 1st President Bush initiated the Madrid Peace Process.
– This was designed to force Israel to exchange land for peace.
– Israel was to give the Arabs the West Bank, Golan Heights, Gaza, and Jerusalem in exchange for peace with the Arabs.
Please note, there are no Jews living in Gaza. The News Media tried to say the Jews had settled in Gaza and were refusing to leave. Untrue! Gaza is settled by the Palestinians and Hamas and other Gaza -based militant groups.
The problem with the Madrid Peace Package is God has promised the land to Israel in an everlasting Covenant and whoever divides this land will face Judgment and be destroyed by God.
– Zechariah and Joel are explicit about how God will judge the nations that attempt to divide His land.
In October, 1991, President Bush and Russian Premier, Mikhail Gorbachev sponsored the Madrid Land for Peace Conference. This was the beginning of many catastrophes.
– While they were conducting the Conference the Perfect Storm developed (11/1/1991) in the N.E. Atlantic sending crashing 30 foot waves into Bush’s Kennebunkport home in Maine.
On August 24, 1991, the Madrid Conference convened in Washington D.C.
– That same day Hurricane Andrew (largest up until then in U.S. history) pummeled Louisiana and Florida — devastating storm happened same time Israel’s land being discussed in D.C.
January 15, 1994, President Clinton and Syrian President Assad were in Geneva, Switzerland, calling upon Israel to leave the Golan Heights.
– Within 24 hours a major earthquake hit in the center of Northridge, California, producing the largest earthquake and 2nd largest disaster in U.S. History.
Many of us watched Israel leaving Gaza.
– August 24, 2005, the day the final Jews were evicted from Gaza and Northern Samaria, tropical depression 12 formed near the Bahamas.
– Within 24 hours it was Tropical Storm Katrina.
– Within 72 hours it was Hurricane Katrina hitting S.W. Florida.
– 72 hours later it hit Louisiana, Mississippi, and Alabama producing the largest disaster in this country’s history that dwarfed 9-11, Hurricane
Andrew, and the Northridge earthquake in size and intensity.
God has blest the United States, but He hasn’t forgotten His Promises to Israel.
Has America felt the wrath of God for the recent stance America’s taken in the Mid-East?
– Has God sent us a message through the uncanny natural disasters that coincide with key events? Is it all just a coincidence?
Obama, now Biden, has treated Israel with contempt!
President Trump treated Israel with respect and we prospered during his term.
– Biden has consistently attacked the Bible values of Christians, and Jews since taking office.
Enjoy your Memorial Day celebrations, but remember it’s more than just a National Play Day!
- It’s a day when we remember those who paid the ultimate cost for the Freedom we enjoy and it’s a day when we should thank Almighty God for letting us live in this Blessed Land.
Remember also, GOD’S STILL IN CONTROL AND GOD’S WILL – WILL BE DONE!
– Are you prepared?
PODCAST CAN AMERICA RETURN TO GOD?
The updated version of Rev Bill Woods’ book “There Is Still Power In The Blood” will be available soon.