By Rev Bill Woods
As we watch prophecy being fulfilled on a daily basis and hear the reports about the Great Reset coming in January, 2021, it becomes very frightening. You need to ask:
- Am I ready for the Rapture described in 1 Thessalonians 4:13-18:
15 For this we say to you by the word of the Lord, that we who are alive and remain until the coming of the Lord will by no means precede those who are asleep.
16 For the Lord Himself will descend from heaven with a shout, with the voice of an archangel, and with the trumpet of God. And the dead in Christ will rise first.
17 Then we who are alive and remain shall be caught up together with them in the clouds to meet the Lord in the air. And thus we shall always be with the Lord.
18 Therefore comfort one another with these words.
And I Corinthians 15:51-54, when Jesus will come and catch up all Christians to take them to The Marriage Feast of the Lamb?
1 Corinthians 15:51-54:
51 Behold, I tell you a mystery: We shall not all sleep, but we shall all be changed–
52 in a moment, in the twinkling of an eye, at the last trumpet. For the trumpet will sound, and the dead will be raised incorruptible, and we shall be changed.
53 For this corruptible must put on incorruption, and this mortal must put on immortality.
54 So when this corruptible has put on incorruption, and this mortal has put on immortality, then shall be brought to pass the saying that is written: “Death is swallowed up in victory.”
I certainly don’t want to be here to face the Great Tribulation and all the wrath of Satan and his Anti-Christ.
How can I know I’m prepared to be with Christ?
Make certain everything is surrendered to His Will!
- That means all anger, lust, bitterness and resentments must be surrendered to Christ and your heart cleansed from these negative killers of your spiritual walk.
Many Christians are harboring bitterness in one form or another not realizing these negative attitudes can ruin their relationship to Christ and cause them to miss the most important event ever–going to Heaven with to be with Jesus!
Listen! You cannot entertain a bitter spirit if you want to go to Heaven!
For that reason I want to talk to you today about resentment!
RESENTMENT IS POISON! It’s like an acid that destroys the container where it’s kept.
- Resentment is sin and will keep you out of Heaven!
- You probably can’t deal with it on your own, but Jesus can cleanse your heart if you give Him permission to so.
Matthew 6:14-15 (NKJV)
14 “For if you forgive men their trespasses, your heavenly Father will also forgive you.
15 But if you do not forgive men their trespasses, neither will your Father forgive your trespasses.
Jesus gave a startling warning about forgiveness: “If you refuse to forgive others, your Father will not forgive your sins”
Why, when we want revival, doesn’t it come?
– We want souls saved and our Church (God’s Church) to grow but too often we’re dead on the vine.
We make excuses and rationalize why miracles don’t happen, but that’s all they are — excuses!
– “It’s the music!”
– “The pastor doesn’t dress right or isn’t dignified enough — no spiritual food.”
– “It’s our location — too much crime — it doesn’t meet my needs!”
– A thousand excuses why we aren’t growing — THAT’S ALL THEY ARE —
Have you ever found a potato that’s gone bad?
– A spot of rot in the potato that must be surgically removed if the meal’s to be wholesome.
Worse — If you haven’t checked the potatoes for awhile, the rot might’ve spread through the whole bag making all the potatoes unusable — ready for the garbage can.
– Rotten potatoes stink and are unappetizing!
– They’re unusable.
– They’re contagious to wholesome potatoes.
You can’t use rotten potatoes for a meal because they’re rotten.
It happens sometimes in a church among Christians.
– Something happened that’s caused bitterness and we just can’t let go of it.
– Satan will help you understand how rotten your situation is……….
– He knows God can’t use you if you’re filled with a rotten spirit.
When we left Deer Valley.
– Arrived in Stevenson with an attitude.
– Tina, Peggy, the Twins, Steve matched my attitude.
– Horrible rebellious worship services………sang to defy me not to glorify God
After 2 miserable years God confronted me in my office —
– “I thought I called you to preach!” “You did!”
– “I thought you said you’d go wherever I sent you!” –“I did!”
– “Then what’s the problem?” — “I guess there isn’t a problem, Lord!”
My attitude changed and then the Church’s changed and we had 5 very productive years.……
– God couldn’t use me or that Church for His purpose as long as bitterness was destroying us.
People harboring resentment don’t understand the price they’re paying for that luxury.
– Friendships are broken………..
– Jobs are lost.
– Homes demoralized.
– Psychosomatic illnesses develop.
– The once vibrant relationship with God fades and loses the romance.
Personality grows brittle and unbending.
– Resilience and flexibility are lost from the personality.
– Emotions become unstable.
Energy, which once was productive is turned inward and productivity drops — effectiveness dwindles.
All this comes from resentment.
– It’s the worst disease of the mind.
– Resentment comes from a variety of situations, involving a perceived wrong
(real or imagined) done to us which brings feelings of injustice or
Resentment turns to bitterness — an acid that only destroys the container — YOU!.
– How can you expect God to use something full of rot?
What are the Effects of Resentment?
Resentment is strongest when it’s caused by someone we’ve been close to. . – An injury causing resentful feelings inflicted by a friend or loved one makes us . feel betrayed, and these feelings can have deep effects. . – Cheryl, “I’m not going to take sides.”
Resentment is emotionally debilitating if not dealt with. . – It causes many negative results, like touchiness or edginess when we think of . the person we resent or the situation that almost destroyed us..
We can say there’s no anger or hatred against this person, and yet be provoked to anger when they’re given positive recognition.
Resentment has long-term effects, like developing hostile, cynical, sarcastic attitudes that splash into other relationships, lack of personal and emotional growth, have trouble being open to those we love, have trouble trusting others, loss of self-confidence, and overcompensation.
What’s interesting is resentment doesn’t have any direct negative effects on the person we resent, except to deteriorate our relationship with them.
To further compound these negative effects; resentment drags us down. (depression – illness)
Our resentful feelings destroy communication between us and the person we think wronged us, which results in more miscommunications and develop even more resentment.
– Resentment has the unique quality of being internalized, where it can do
further emotional and psychological damage but that still doesn’t impact the person being resented.
So people hang on to their resentments because they feel justified in feeling the way they do.
– Justified or not, NOBODY who wants to be happy and productive CAN AFFORD to hold on to resentment.
Nobody in the Bible was more justified to harbor resentment than Joseph.
– He could’ve fought back, or perhaps just sulked in self-pity, or floundered trying to use other ineffective defense mechanisms.
He did the only thing a strong person does — he rose above the people, the circumstances – the places which might’ve provoked resentment within him.
Remember his brothers rejected him?
– His boss’s wife lied about him and had him thrown into prison.
– The butler promised to remember him — he didn’t!
He wasted precious time in prison serving time for a crime he didn’t commit.
HOW DO YOU STOP RESENTMENT FROM TAKING OVER?
– What’s the cure for resentment if it’s in your mind and life?
Resentment that crops up on the job, in the home, at church, or in social relationships will spread like gangrene to all areas of life.
– Destroying all happiness.
Only radical surgery by the Holy Spirit can restore life to what it’s supposed to be.
- THE ONLY CURE FOR RESENTMENT IS BEING WILLING TO RECEIVE THE
CLEANSING OF THE HOLY SPIRIT.
A person may rationalize his right for resentment by believing his feelings are justified because of the injuries he’s suffered.
– He may excuse himself by saying resentment is a problem everybody faces.
Psychologist James J. Messina recommends 5 steps to facing and resolving resentful feelings.
- Identify the source of the resentful feelings and what the person did to cause these feelings,
- Develop a new way of looking at past, present and future life, including how resentment has affected your life and how letting go of resentment can improve your future,
(3) Write a letter to the person you resent, listing offenses and explaining the . circumstances, then forgive and let go of it. (but do not send the letter),
(4) think about a future without the negative impact of resentment,
(5) If resentful feelings still linger, go back to Step 1 and begin again.
This doesn’t change the fact — RESENTMENT IS SIN!
Because of the consequences of resentful feelings they’re dangerous and need to be dealt with.
Like the rotten potato, resentment and bitterness stink! . – They make us unusable to God.
– They are contagious to the Church Body.
Resentment poisons relations, and must be handled by introspection and forgiveness.
There’s no solution for sin except forgiveness and cleansing
- 1 John 1:9: If we confess our sins, He is faithful and just to forgive us our sins and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness.
Too many let the problem fester.
– Convicted killer, Wesley Dodd: “Dad wouldn’t come to my concert…………”
Jim Corbett, Man-Eaters of Kumaon — Man -eating tigers — hunted a man-eating tiger with an injured paw that had festered and made it impossible to hunt down other animals — only slow man.
We want to blame others for our resentful feelings, and tell ourselves we have a right to feel this way, but it’s really our choice! — RESENTMENT IS SIN!
– God cures sin when we confess it to Him!
– Why let this emotional cancer eat you when God has the cure?
Stoic boy with fox chewing his entrails…………..
– We want revival! — Revival won’t happen until God cleanses the resentment . and bitterness.
Remember the potato?
– You must get rid of the rot then you’re service will be appetizing, useable, and contagious.
A teacher once told her students to bring a clear plastic bag and a sack of potatoes to school. For every person they’d refused to forgive in their life’s experience, they chose a potato, wrote on it the name and date, and put it in the plastic bag. Some of their bags were quite heavy.
She told them to carry this bag with them everywhere for one week, putting it beside their bed at night; on the car seat when driving; next to their desk at work …..
The hassle of lugging this around with them demonstrated what a weight they were carrying spiritually, and how they had to pay attention to it all the time to not forget and keep leaving it in embarrassing places.
Naturally, the potatoes deteriorated to a nasty slime.
This was a great metaphor for the price we pay for keeping our pain and heavy negativity! Too often we think of forgiveness as a gift to the other person, and it clearly is for ourselves!!
Remember: 14 “For if you forgive men their trespasses, your heavenly Father will also forgive you.
15 But if you do not forgive men their trespasses, neither will your Father forgive your trespasses.
That makes the price too high to continue letting resentment dictate my life!
RESENTMENT IS POISON PODCAST